Sunday, July 19, 2009

A Day in the Life of Q

This is just a glimpse into my life in Prague...laundry; fascinating I know! We've had to make adjustments in the way we do laundry. No, we don't wear the same clothes 5 days in a row to save on utilities/space/time, but we don't do laundry the same as before. Let me explain why:

This is a photo of the wonderful washing machine we have in our apartment. Looks nice, but it is slow! It takes at least 2 hours to do a load of laundry, and that's if no extra cycles are needed.


This is the inside of the washing machine; very shiny, but also very small! To give you an idea of it's capacity, here is a typical load: 2 bath towels, 1 pair of pants, 1 hand towel, & a couple of wash cloths. Combine the capacity of this machine with its cycle duration and you've guessed it...we don't get much laundry washed each day.


The laundry process is further hindered by the capacity of our drying rack, as seen below. It is set up in the corner of the bathroom, and it doesn't hold nearly enough clothes. Plus, the bathroom doesn't get much air circulation to aid in the drying of the clothes.


This is an unusual site, an empty laundry rack! It is usually only seen on Monday morning when the clothes, the washing machine, and I have had a day of rest.


No, I'm not complaining, just sharing one of the highlights of living in Europe. Note to everyone in the US: I hope you don't take for granted the large capacity washers and dryers that you typically own, I know I won't when I have them again. As for now, I'm enjoying the experience of cardboard towels, it reminds of my childhood days in Holbrook!

7 comments:

Staci said...

you know what, i actually miss the 'cardboard' towels. they seemed to dry my body better than the soft dryer towels. its the stiff sheets that makes me sad.

The Brown's said...

oh honey I am sorry! I HATE laundry so I would need medication if it took forever:O)

sarah said...

no more complaining from me. can you hang your clothes outside? i'm assuming you already thought of that. well, maybe you can switch to plastic clothes...those would dry quickly. :)

Nathan Armstrong said...

Hmmm...we have a big washer and dryer...

the kings said...

Q - you are so cute. I love getting a glimpse of life in Prague by following your blog. Thanks so much for your sweet comments about Jaxon, we appreciate you thinking of him. Sounds like everything (well besides the small washing machine) is going well for you guys! What a fun adventure! :)
- Kelly

tHe HiLL FaMiLy fiVe said...

I would love to see Bri in some plastic clothes...that's my vote ;) Sorry about the stinky washing situation. Guess thats one point for the US. I'm gonna start a Praugue con list, see if I can't get you guys back here :)

Spencer and Shalynn said...

WOW!!!!! That looks and sounds exhausting. No more complaining on my end. :)