Monday, January 26, 2009

Czech This Out!!!


Q and I have some news... (drumroll please)

We're moving to Prague, Czech Republic. Here's the story:

I was looking online at Novell.com's website for job openings as I had previously worked there and a good friend told me about an opening. I didn't find the opening he told me about, but did find an opening in the Czech Republic for a position almost identical to what I'd been doing previously for Novell.

I told Q about it and she said, "You should totally apply for that opening you totally awesome, incredibly handsome husband of mine!" (this may not be an exact quote, but that's what I heard).

So, I did. And I was fortunate enough to have some great contacts still at Novell who helped the process along from this side and made sure the manager over in Europe knew what an awesome worker I am.

Basically, we have been giving this a lot of thought, especially recently as the prospect became more and more real. We both have a great feeling about it and decided it would be an awesome opportunity. I was extended an official offer on Friday and accepted it already.

My paperwork is scheduled to go through before Q's and the kids which means I'll probably be over there for a few weeks before the rest of the family joins me. That will give me plenty of time to become fluent in Czech so I can translate in church for Q ;-)

Seriously, though, we're really excited to learn a new language and culture and are very excited for the adventure and opportunity that lies ahead.

When we went to Europe in Oct of 2006, we spent 4 days in the Czech Republic and loved it. Obviously being tourists vs. residents is going to be different, but we're excited about it. We have a 2 year commitment, so, get your calendars out now and start saving up! (We'll be able to recommend some good hostel's by then... jk) We'll make sure we have a guest room.

13 comments:

tHe HiLL FaMiLy fiVe said...

Okay, waiting for the punch line here. You aren't serious...are you??

Staci said...

i am so so so so excited for you brian. see you in prague!!! seriously... wien is 4 hours away, and klagenfurt is 4 hours from that. so if i plan my train schedule right, we'll be able to hang out on long weekends. i'm so happy for you! what an exciting time to be alive, right??

the kings said...

ummm excuse me...at first i was with stacie, and then i realized that perhaps there was no punch line(but lets be honest who can tell with brian?). i thought wisconsin was far away from home. can't wait ot hear more about this adventure.
love you guys.
- Kelly
oh, and by the way Rebecca is so stinkin' cute in your previous post. i believe i forgot to comment.

Alli E. said...

Are you serious!! Wow!! Good thing you have a blog!!

The Brown's said...

We can't be happy for the both of you! What a stinkin fun adventure. I am so happy that you have a blog so we can keep on touch! See you saturday:O)

Phat Bri said...

Yeah, this is for real... no punch line. we're going! Not exactly Costa Rica as originally planned, but same initials...

sarah said...

so costa rica was just your code name, i get it. like i told Q, i'm happy for you but not happy you are leaving us. i'm pretty sure that our plane ticket/travel money is going to be in the form of studs/sheetrock/wiring in our basement. but you never know, brett could become a best-selling author and then we will TOTALLY come see you guys.

Carrie Stevenson said...

wow that is crazy! but very cool! Congrats! I'm more than a little jealous...and we may seriously be looking at those plane tickets...:)

tHe HiLL FaMiLy fiVe said...

Bri, we were really hoping you were joking...seriously, you never know with you ;)

HoLy CRaP you guys make us look lame!! So, when's the BIG move?? What an adventure. We are SO coming to visit...we need to get out more.

Phat Bri said...

S & C, If I was joking, I would have probably done something with Timbuktu or somewhere more "funny", but true, you never know with me.

I start in Provo with Novell soon (probably this next week) and the paperwork may take anywhere from 4 weeks to 4 months, but as soon as it goes through I'll go over. Q and the kids may take a little longer.

So, several things still unknown, but will unfold right here on the blog. Yes, you guys FOR SURE will need to come over and visit.

Book Girl said...

We will certainly miss you and think you will have a wonderful time. Such an adventure!

Unknown said...

Brian, you are like my clone. I'm so happy that my clone is going to have all of these amazing experiences. Nothing will change between us except for the fact that we won't be able to sell heaters.

Awesome Andrew said...

Q, you need to know that MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice are coming to the mckay events center on feb. 27th at 8pm... you know i'm going... it should be some good times! scott and i already bought tickets! 2 Legit 2 Quit! :)

Malinda