Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Redfish Lake 2008 - "Trouble In Paradise"

Ok, for those of you reading the title and assuming this is going to have some awesome story about how there was any "real" problems... sorry to disappoint, nothing like that, hence the title "Trouble in Paradise" in quotes...

Basically (yeah Nate, I know you hate the word "basically"), the whole "trouble in paradise" is what you can say anytime you hear two people talking. Try it when people are conversing, especially when someone gets a little huffy... like when Meg asks Curt to get something and Curt kinda does this huff thing... I say "ooooh Trouble in Paradise" and everyone laughs. Sometimes it's funniest when they're not really having any huffy stuff and I still say it... or sometimes say, "oooh, no trouble in paradise" and sometimes add something like "smoochie smoochie...". Try it and report how it went. There's a comment section for that.

Ok, for reals now... the actual Redfish Report.

We loved it as usual aside from the fact that the nights were a little cold and one night I got a little ornery (pronounced on-ree). It was great and I took an official break from any attempts to eat healthy aside from the occasional bit of cantelope.

I definitely decided that Q and I need cruisers. We got to ride "Bullseye" (Megan's cruiser)... or "Bluesie" whichever name you prefer... (jk Meg!). And I decided it was awesome to hop on the cruiser to ride around Orion Trail and back and forth from the restrooms as needed.



Redfish was awesome as usual and we're excited to go back again next year. I'm saving up for cruisers and also a pop-up camp trailer for next year as well. Then again, I'm also saving up for a Private Jet and a beach house in Kauai and several other items, so we'll see where that ends up on the priority list... but guaranteed if we get one, I'll be blogging about it.

Good times, can't wait for next year. I took some pics, but they're on Q's camera and I haven't downloaded them yet.

Some major highlights:

- Jess learned to ride with no training wheels. I can't tell you how excited I am. I tried unsuccessfully about 2 weeks ago to get her riding, but didn't. Q took her and Cam to the lodge from our camp and she was riding when they returned. Awesome! Also, she now knows how to start without help as well.

As a side note related to this, we saw a little kid from another family riding a mini bike without pedals at all. It was a "scooter" bike with a seat and just enough to where this little guy could touch the ground and scoot around. We decided this was perfect for teaching them balance. We're either going to remove the pedals of the mini bike we have or get one of these little scoot bikes for when Rebecca is 2.5 or so... I predict she'll be the earliest rider yet.

- Cam can now shift gears on his bike and taught everyone the meaning of "real speed". As he would get speed and pass on his higher gear, he'd say, "This is what real speed is..." So, yeah, new speed racer. He's pretty competitive on his bike and pretty good. Hopefully he'll turn out like his 2nd cousin thrice removed Lance Armstrong.

The only real bummer was that the campground on the south end of the lake was closed which is the gateway to the "secret beach" that we couldn't get to because the road was closed... next year! Also, I didn't realize this, but the trail around the lake is apparently mountain bike-able. I'm going to attempt it next year. I am sure there are a handful of spots I'll have to walk / carry my bike, but I'm going to go for it.

I spent a lot of time with Becca in the Baby Bjorn which I like to call the "Baby Bourne". I would give Becca the "Bourne Ultimatum" which is like I told her that if she wasn't happy in the Baby Bourne, the ultimatum would be that she would get put down for a nap. She got on board real quick and kept her little mouth shut (jk). It was fun. She seemed happy as long as she was moving. She has a short attention span just like her dad.

The drive was a little long, but worth it. We like camping for multiple days especially for a drive that long. It was great to see Nate and the kids were totally excited to play with Nate. No rest for the fav uncle.

Of course, we wouldn't be making this trip yearly without Curt & Meg. Thanks to you guys for an awesome time and for being the "treat miesters".

4 comments:

Erik A. said...

sounds like a fabulous time. did the entire family go with you?

Carol said...

sounds like you had a great time. Sorry it didn't work out this year for us. Other family needs which took me to California and "Duke" tending. Love ya

Megan said...

So glad you guys made the journey and came up. Also, glad that I've converted you to the "ways of the cruiser". It was good times and next year it will be even better with you getting a tent trailer and a racing boat and cruiser bikes and private jet and a sea plane... can't wait!

Staci said...

ornery. its pronounced like its spelled, silly!

orn (like horn without the H) + ery (like Lake Eerie, but said a little faster = ornery.

check out www.dictionary.com for complete pronunciation guides.