Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Spring Break Part 1 - Paris

We decided to use the kids' Spring Break for a big trip to Paris this year (actually I'm the one who decided, since I'm the designated travel planner for the family). I must admit, it was a hairy trip to plan, because this is Paris! It's huge and how can you possibly see & do everything in a week (because I don't go somewhere I've never been, to sit around in the hotel & watch TV)? In addition, it's an expensive place to visit, I won't lie, so it took forever to research places to stay; I do try to get the best value for my bucks! And what if we have some run-ins with some "alleged snooty Parisians" (not a problem...I've been living in the Czech Republic for almost 2 years, I can handle anyone!)?

Before we went, we consulted everyone and their dogs (at least those who had been to Paris before) about what we must see. I had the schedule packed with site-seeing. Unfortunately, I'm the only one in the family that can go non-stop site-seeing. As it turns out, we took someone's advice and rented an apartment in the city. It was fabulous because Becca needed a few nap days, Brian does like to sit around and watch TV once in awhile and the kids were tired of seeing old buildings; so they all stayed in the apartment for the afternoon while I enjoyed the city to myself!

We hit all of the main sites, plus found a few random & lesser known sites off the beaten path. I love to see the big sites, but I must say, the random things are often what I remember most. Here's a fraction of my trillions of photos for your viewing pleasure:

Eglise St-Eustache - beautiful setting for a playground

Random sculpture by Eglise St-Eustache

Place de la Concorde Obelisk with Eiffel Tower in the background

Notre Dame

Stained glass mural in the metro

Basilique du Sacre Coeur

"The Thinker" by Rodin

Passe-Muraille statue, random!

Watching TV in the quaint little apartment we rented

Jessica on one of the many bridges over the Seine River; I used to think that the "lock bridge" was unique to Prague, but I've found them in most cities we've visited here in Europe.

Random art - metro entrance

The Eiffel Tower, where the world just go smaller; we met this lady, while taking a picture, who was the college roommate of a friend of ours from the branch in Prague (don't strain your brain trying to follow that connection, I just find it interesting how small the world seems sometimes)!

View from the Eiffel Tower

Eiffel Tower at dusk

The Eiffel Tower was awesome, especially getting to see it at dusk, check out this video clip:



Eiffel Tower at night

Random columns in a courtyard (off the beaten path), great for posing!

I'm not much of a history buff, so I was totally taken in by the National Treasure movie; I was excited to find the replica of the Statue of Liberty along the Seine river! It doesn't exist, but there is an exact replica of the torch held by the Statue of Liberty!

Gigantic watering can; random!

Brian outside the Louvre

I never knew there was an inverted pyramid on the inside; pretty cool!

Of course we had to see the Venus de Milo ("ancient porn" as I like to refer it), because it's one of the most famous pieces in the museum.

Of course, we couldn't miss the Mona Lisa either!

Look at everyone, they are exhausted, and this was probably only 45 minutes into the tour. Do you have any idea how huge the Louve is; of course we didn't make it through the entire place!

Somewhere along the way we stumbled across this street band. We enjoyed the music for awhile, did a little dancing (though I wasn't able to catch Cam on film) and then continued along our way. I think it's fun to listen to the street musicians and the kids like to toss coins into their instrument cases.

The Arc de Triomphe

The tomb of an unknown WWI soldier lies beneath the Arc de Triomphe with this memorial flame burning every evening

On Sunday afternoon, as we were out seeing some sites, the street is suddenly filled with thousands (not kidding) of roller-bladers. It was pretty fun to watch and totally random!

2 comments:

The Turman's said...

Paris looks beautiful, thanks for sharing pics. Bri made me laugh with his mice comment on the video clip! Miss you guys!

Alli said...

So jealous! That has been one place we've been wanting to go. I too love the random stuff one finds when one isn't looking for them...sometimes they are the best part of the trip.