Rebecca's Spine - Update
Many of you know that Rebecca was born with moderate scoliosis, of the unknown-cause variety; more than likely because she was so big (8 lbs 5 oz) and I was not so big to carry her. We have had periodic check ups on her back with Dr. Smith, a pediatric orthopedic specialist at Primary Children's hospital in her short 1 1/2 years, with each check showing progress in the positive direction. We had our last check the day before we moved, and there is great news: she no longer has scoliosis; she will not have any higher chance of developing scoliosis as a teen; she doesn't have to have any more check-ups or x-rays; and I'm not required to report scoliosis on any future health forms! Here is the happy girl:

I’m a Fool, So Now I Shall Mourn!
Today I was had by a conniving wolf in sheep’s clothing. Let me explain; Carol and I were out to do some shopping before she returns home, and we needed to change some money (US dollars for Czech koruna). We were outside an exchange place when the “would-be sheep” approached us, telling us he would give us a better rate than the exchange place would. This is one of those cardinal rules for travelling; never change money on the street. I know this, yet I wasn’t thinking; I never fall for those too good to be true scams, yet I did it! It was an expensive lesson to learn. We gave the guy $100 for 20 Kc and 2000 in Monopoly National Bank notes (I don’t actually know what the bills are; they look like real money)! Despite the loss, I’m more frustrated at the fact that I was so gullible, and the fact that the con-artist has the satisfaction of knowing he took us. I can’t even walk past one of those exchange places without being frustrated. Life lesson: don’t trust money changers.




11 comments:
That stinks about the money, I am sure you will have many more learning experiences like that before your stay in Czech is over! Atleast you got that one over soon and will never be fooled again! Don't worry too much about it though because I was fooled too after moving to AZ and it is still in the US!
We are so happy about Becca's good news! She looks pretty happy too!!
Are the kids enjoying the new place?
Really, where do I start??
First off, so glad you are all there safe and sound...and together.
Next, it looks beautiful there.
So good to hear that there are good people out there still (the BYU couple), amongst the JeRKs (WoLf)!! That guy obviously doesn't know better than to mess with a redhead. You let him have it next time :) Lessons are always better learned, and I agree with Jena...there will probably be more on this adventure of yours.
Lastly, love you guys, you're my heros. Keep posting pics and keeping us informed. Helps to not miss you all so much.
hi Q. first, what a cute slide show. i loved that you showed us the vacuum box w/ string and the temple mirrors. i almost feel like i traveled with you all the way to prague! sorry about the money changer dude. don't you hate learning lessons the hard way? looks like you guys are all set and ready. take care!
p.s. congrats to rebecca for having a straight spine...good news!
I didn't know Ikea sold antique desks and furniture. Must be a European Ikea thing eh???
(I HATE putting the real Ikea stuff together... so Brian has my condolences.)
Glad you made it. Sorry about the money changer. Those guys always get it in the end though.
Joe
So, the currency pictured is apparently the Hungarian Forint AKA the Hungarian Horntail which is about 200 to $1, so Q basically used $100 to buy $10 + 200Kc.
And, if any of you know me, you know I was fuming. Absolutely mad out of my gourd. If I've told her once, I've told her a thousand times!!!
Actually, just a little more fodder for the instances when she gives me a bad time, usually because of my "boy goggles" or something like that. Next time I can't find something, I'm going to say, "At least it didn't cost me $90"
Well, actually, I'm not going to say that because I value Q. A LOT.
Wouldn't have wanted to trade places on that trip over. I'll post something in another week or so. Cam's b-day is tomorrow and we have a trip planned to some castle with a 2 hour train ride, so should be fun.
I'm going with Lafawnduh for some prime rib. Peace out.
Your pictures were awesome. Thanks for sharing them! Your apt. looks really nice and I hope you are totally settled in. :)
Miss you!
love the picture tour! so glad you are safe and together. tell cam HAPPY BIRTHDAY! when will the big baptism be? how exciting. love you all and miss you still. the blog helps though.
nat :-)
Great news about Rebecca, and so glad you arrived without problems. Money is little stuff in the scheme of things. Loved all your stories, keep posting as Nat said it does help. Love you, Lynn
I cried all through the slide show of your move... sad that you will be so far from family, but also happy for your great adventure. We lived far from family our first 5 years of marriage and grew from the experience...there's blessings both ways. The Gospel IS the great connector anywhere in the world!
Q, you're great with both words and photos. Thanks for sharing.
Love, Los Petersen - Walt & Eileen, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Post a Comment